We spend a lot of time teaching our dogs to retrieve items to us and to hold onto items, and then when we want them to take an object away from us and drop it in the middle of nowhere our dogs are understandably confused.
In this Drop It Like It’s Hot hands-on workshop I will teach you how to train your dog that taking an object away from you and dropping it on cue is just as rewarding as giving you an object.
It is a step by step process that will teach your dog on cue:
- “Drop it Like It’s Hot”
- With the handler at a distance
- And then return to the handler having left the object behind
Prerequisites: your dog must be able to pick up an object off the floor
- Small floor target (a fit paws silicon paw target is a good example; we we likely have a few available if you do not have one with you)
- Food your dog will do backflips for
- Clicker or other marker, a whistle or a duck caller
- 5 or 6 objects your dog likes to put in their mouth